Checklist before moving home in Hemel Hempstead
Moving home can be an exciting, stressful, and busy time – all in equal measure. So, if you are moving home in Hemel Hempstead over the next few weeks or months, we are hoping to take some of that pain away from you. This little checklist we have put together will help you be more organised and make your big day a lot less stressful. Read on to find out more!
A month until moving day:
- If you are moving home in Hemel Hempstead, we recommend hiring your removals company at least four weeks before you get your keys. The best removal companies are always busy, and it can be difficult to find anyone free if you leave it too late.
- It’s also a good time to tell your friends and family – and maybe slip in a request for help. The more hands on deck you have, the quicker you can get comfortable in your new home.
- Tell our home insurance company you are moving. Setting up now will give you protection from the day you move, rather than worrying about it on the big day.
- While you’re on the phone, call every service you use – gas, electric, phone, and TV. It’s worth searching around to see if you can find better deals at this point.
A fortnight before moving day:
- Now is the time to start packing. Focus on nonessentials at this point. Take your time and aim to pack a bag or box every night – it will make the whole process much easier.
- Let your medical providers know you are leaving if you are moving a long distance away from your current home.
- Contact your bank, too. Let them know your new address, and include your moving date. You should also think about getting your passport and driving license renewal forms.
- Keep in touch with your estate agent and removal company. Giving them a rig a couple of weeks before the moving day will reassure you everything is on track.
A week to go:
- By this stage, you should have all on essentials packed and ready to go. Leave yourself a week’s worth of clothes for everyone to wear until moving day.
- Look through all your vital documents and ensure everything is signed and sent to the relevant people or organizations.
- Do a garden check
- Make sure you give your garden a thorough inspection. Look out for kids toys, old tools, and get all your garden equipment packed up and ready.
One day to go:
- Pack up everything else you need to take with you, including the cutlery and plates you have been using. Treat yourself to a takeout instead of cooking.
- Call the removal company one last time, just to make sure everyone knows what’s happening. They are likely to ask you a few last minute questions and offer some sage advice.
- Congratulations! At this point, you should have everything in place, and your day should go with a minimum amount of stress. Moving home in Hemel Hempstead is easy – now it’s just a case of saying goodbye to your old neighbourhood!
Are you thinking of selling or letting your home? Try our instant valuation today. Contact us by email – [email protected] or phone – 01442 233533.
Published Date: Sep-29-2016