Information for Tenants

When you rent a property through Squire Estates in Hemel Hempstead, you’ll find your tenancy is smooth and easy. More proactive than the average lettings agency, here are just a few of the ways we help tenants like you:

Can you find me a property to rent?

Yes. Just search the houses and flats on this website, and you’ll quickly find your new home in Hemel Hempstead or surrounding areas. If you can’t find something suitable on our books, let us know and we’ll even do our best to source a property for you.

Can I redecorate or hang pictures?

It’s possible. We want you to feel comfortable in your rented home, so please tell us your plans and we’ll check with your landlord for you.

Can I change the monthly payment date?

Yes. If you’d like to change the date your rent is paid, just ask.

Can a tenant be added or removed?

Yes, this is usually possible. Please call Laura on 01442 233533.

Who deals with meter readings?

Simply give us the meter readings on the day you move in and the day you move out and we’ll liaise with the utility companies so you don’t have to worry.

Can I change utility suppliers?

Yes. You can choose whichever utility suppliers you wish, but please let us know so we can update our records.

What if there’s a problem?

If something goes wrong, such as you have no hot water, or a flood in the property, please call Jody on 01442 233533.

What if I want to leave?

The initial tenancy term is six months and the notice period is two months. If you know you want to move on after the initial term, you must give us written notice before the end of the fourth month.
When you move out, you should leave the property clean and tidy. Landlords usually have an inventory that gives them a snapshot of the property condition when you moved in, the independent inventory clerk will visit you on the day that you checkout to see how the current state of the property compares. Their report will explain who should pay for what if there’s any loss or damage beyond normal wear and tear.

Remember, you will have to talk to your bank to cancel the monthly standing order once you’ve moved out (that’s one of the few things we can’t do for you).

What if I want to stay?

If you want to stay on after the initial six-month term, and your landlord agrees, your contract will change to a ‘periodic tenancy’. That means you only have to give one month’s written notice when you want to move out but your Landlord will still have to give two months.

How do I give notice?

Notice must be in writing and expire on the last day of a rent period. For example, if your rent is due on the 20th monthly, the notice period ends on the 19th.

What fees do I need pay?

A general agency administration fee of £125 + vat will apply to the first tenant, other fees will also apply to additional tenants (dependant on how many tenants there are).
Squire Estates will NOT charge for a guarantor should one become necessary or a tenancy drawing up fee.